What Is a Step Parent Adoption?
A step parent adoption is when one becomes the legal parent of their spouse’s children. The step parent is often not their biological parents; they are new spouses to the father or mother of the kid in question. Step parent adoption without bio father consent is often considered if the biological father is not fit to give consent.
What Is the Difference Between a Step Parent Adoption and an Adult Adoption?
The difference between step parent adoption and adult adoption arises from the child’s age. In step parent adoption, the adoptee is a minor, and the adopter wants to assume the entire legal responsibility of a real parent. On the other hand, adult adoption is where an adult adoptee is adopted by another set of parents who are not their biological parents.
Reasons for A Step Parent Adoption Without Bio Father Consent
Before one is given the full legal responsibility of an adopter, some legal scrutiny is effected. This process of legal scrutiny seeks to ensure consent from the bio parent for their new spouse to be a step parent of their children. In some cases, the bio parent, father or mother, might not consent for the following reasons:
1. The inability of the biological father to sign: The biological father may be unable to sign because of their mental status. It could be due to insanity or any other reason. In such a case, they cannot sign and approve for their spouse to be a step parent of their children.
2. Death of the bio father: A dead father cannot give a nod of approval to their spouse to become a step parent by any means. In such a scenario, one can process all legal requirements to become the real legal step parent of the child in question.
3. Abandonment of the child by their bio dad: Well, some biological fathers will abandon their families and children and never look back. If this is proven true, the state may approve your step parent status upon application.
Legal Process of Step Parent Adoption Without Bio Father Consent
To become a step parent without the consent of the bio father, there are some specific legal steps you should follow in the United States. These steps often differ from state to state. Thus, some steps and case-specific legal processes may be omitted or applied in your state. In general, there are five steps:
Step 1: Filing petition
Step 2: Inviting the bio father to the petition
Step 3: Proving the bio father is unfit for consent
Step 4: Court hearing of the petition
Step 5: Getting a legal adoption order
Challenges of Step Parent Adoption Without Bio Father Consent:
1. Legal barriers from the biological father: One of the challenges to expect is the bio dad challenging you to be unfit to be a step parent. The bio father may refuse to consent for you to be their children’s step parent because they feel you do not have what it takes to be considered a legal parent of their children. This is a case scenario where the court may deny you the legal status of a step parent altogether.
2. Legal costs: The legal costs are another challenge that may make this process unviable. Becoming a step parent without a biological father’s consent is often long and expensive. You may give up mid-way if you don’t have the finances to fund this entire process.
3. Emotional difficulties: If your adopted child has to live away from their biological father, it may be hard for them. They had developed an attachment with their biological father even when the father was not fit for custody. It may be hard for such a child or children to adjust to a new environment and living with a new parent.
Similarly, the step parent may still not develop that level of emotional connection of a biological parent to their children. In such cases, they may be slightly insensitive to things that disturb the adoptee’s well-being and peace of mind. If such things are critical, they may reduce the quality of life of the children in question.
4. Possibility of conflicts with extended family: Remember, you are adopting a child with relatives. In some cases, these relatives will be in the picture in the adoptee’s life with or without the bio father’s consent. In case they feel you should not be given the legal status of a step parent without consent of the kid’s father, you’re probably in for a rough ride. In the future, they may challenge your real parental status to the child. This may be emotionally draining due to the constant provocation you’ll be getting.